Utilize Training as a Response to Business IssuesBy: Joe Rodriguez
Regardless of the size of your company, if you are to become an industry leader, the key to your success will be training. Industry Week magazine studies show that those companies that invest in people and training beat the rest of the pack in growth and earnings. Joe Rodriguez, Principal of Global Innovation Leadership, Inc, says that a quick check of the Company’s consulting engagements over the last three years show that 30% of the productivity and improvements are traceable to technology, while the other 70% is due to investing in people. Providing training pushes a company towards changing its culture, promoting teamwork, performing improvements and innovating operations and service.
The key issue at a recent consulting engagement was the fact that employees and managers were so lacking in a team atmosphere, it was almost as though they were not part of the same company. The attitude of the workers was one of: "management will not allow change and will not support it", while management felt that "the workforce is too stubborn and too set on their ways to change." What caused this attitude to change was the training of mixed teams (workers and managers) using hands-on improvement workshops. Soon, the realization that it was no longer acceptable to behave as if "Your end of the boat is sinking…" Instead, people adopted more of a "We are in this together…" attitude. A new cooperative spirit and a desire to achieve became the new culture of the operation.
Training is usually necessary for dealing with all aspects of change. Change can be anything from a new product development procedure to implementation of Lean Manufacturing. It might be used as a way to improve customer service or to train teams in performance improvement. In either case, training must be tested against the "value-added" it is expected to provide. The key question is: "What key skills do we need in order to operate in the new mode?"
Some items to be considered when setting up new training programs:
© Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000 Global Innovation Leadership Inc.
|Other Articles by Joe Rodriguez|
The author assumes full responsibility for the contents of this article and retains all of its property rights. ManagerWise publishes it here with the permission of the author. ManagerWise assumes no responsibility for the article's contents.
Would you like us to consider your own articles for publication? Please review our submission and editorial guidelines by clicking here.
You might also be interested in: